Lots of stuff buzzing so we'll get right to it:
- Win some/lose some department - Cougfan has been all over the Cougar recruiting news, and there was some new info trickling out yesterday. Basically we stole one from UW (Cory Mackay, 6-4 WR, officially verballed to WSU); grabbed a 4-star JC defensive lineman (Bernard Wolfgramm, a pass-rusher everyone thought was headed to K-State); and finally, lost a possible diamond in the rough in Brian Baucham to USC. Baucham, you'll remember, looked pretty good on tape last week. Only a 2-star prospect, but a kid with what looks like big-play ability. Come on Peter Perfect Carroll, you just had to steal one of ours? Didn't you do that last year? Oh well. Maybe he's mad about Bumpus refusing his grey-shirt offer in '04 and coming to WSU when they kicked him to the curb for Dwayne Jarrett?
There is some news that Kent WR/Safety Brandon Turner returned from his trip to the Palouse, but still no commitment. Turner is a 2-star player who interests WSU, but our own "source" in Kent says he's good, yet not exactly a game-breaker. In fact, our source went on to tell me that WSU can probably go better and he's a borderline D-1 player. Hmm, 6-3, 197, runs a reported 4.46? Sounds good to me!
- Yes, Brinkhater, we saw a return to Bennett Ball on Saturday. 56-55 is much more like it, but my God, I was sweating the last few minutes. Yikes. I really wonder where our heads might have been today had ASU won that game. Still, 4 homes games in a row coming up and a shot at 7-2 for the first half of the season if we can sweep the Bay Area schools. 7-2 when 5 of 9 games are on the road?? HELL YES I'll take that!
- Speaking of the hoops team, looks like we're #9 in the latest polls. Seems about right. A 1-1 split in the desert isn't easy. And further, on the Arizona game - PLEASE STOP all the "we suck" talk. We don't suck. But Arizona is better than we think they are. They had a white-hot weekend sweeping the Washington schools, as they blew out the Dawgs on Saturday. No matter what anyone says, they are still Arizona. We'll see what happens when they cool off a bit and hit frosty Pullman next month!
- So, Erik Bedard - is he or isn't he a Mariner? You hear Geoff Baker of the Times talk, the deal is now done and will be announced probably tomorrow afternoon after Jones passes his physical. I heard him on KJR this AM and he says it's done. He also says that the M's will sign Brad Wilkerson to a 1-year deal as soon as the deal is done to at least platoon in right field. The other names in the deal are George Sherill, and then it gets a little cloudy. Probably a combo of Tillman and Butler, a couple of minor-league arms with upside. Some had said it'll be a 5-for-1, with another high-ceiling prospect going to Baltimore, but that isn't clear yet. We do know that Jones has been yanked for good from winter ball, and Jones said in an interview that Bavasi told him to go to Baltimore for a physical and he was the centerpiece of a trade for Bedard. Hmm. Yet Baltimore denies it right now, and the windbag Peter Angelos hasn't made up his mind yet?? He's famous for pulling the plug on deals, he's done it in the past and you know he'll do it again. We'll see, but stay tuned.
I'll say this - I heard Mitch Levy on KJR say it this AM, and I totally agree - the hardest things to find in sports are 1) a franchise QB, 2) an all-star NBA center, and 3) a legit ACE on an MLB staff. Those things don't grow on trees. So when you find yourself at a moment that could see it happen, well, you go for it. I love what I've seen of Adam Jones, and I think he's going to be a wonderful player. Better than Mike Cameron, and probably a parallel to Torii Hunter, if not even better when it's all said and done. But Erik Bedard, my God, how do you pass on that? You know he was better than even the great Johan Santana in a lot of categories last year? And he's 28, with 2 more years at least under contract? Jayson Stark said that he's easily right there with Santana as the best lefthanded starter in BASEBALL. And he's recently said that he'll be open to talks of a contract extension? The very thought of pairing Bedard with Felix at the top of the rotation is really, really exciting. And the staff, 1-5, rounds out nicely with Bedard, Felix, Batista, Silva and Washburn. I'd put that 5 up against a lot of staffs in the AL, and it certainly matches up better with the Halos. And who knows, if these guys can get deep into games, the bullpen stays fresher, etc. It could be one interesting summer at the Safe IF this deal happens!
- So how about that UW story in the Times?? The story stinks so badly that they have to spread it out over FOUR DAYS of in-depth sleeze. Wow. And they want $150 million of King County tax money?? How many soccer moms in King County, who had no clue about any of this, are throwing up in their morning latte's? Rape with Jerramy Stevens, among a long list of F-UPS?? Shootings with bloody fingerprints of Pharms, yet they let him play?? What's next? It's obvious the state reps have heard from some registered voters over the last week or so, hence the about face of Dr. Evil himself, Frank Chopp. But, remember, this isn't just front-page sports page news. This is TOP FOLD, A1, front page news on the most circulated paper in the pacific NW. Hard to ignore these kinds of stories. I don't know how much of you have read it so far, but it's pretty disgusting. A fan of UW, WSU or Spokane Falls CC, the thing is an embarrassment for college sports.
- Have you heard the one about the most hated owner in the NW mocking a Sonics fan at the Key last night, to the extent that he did a "boo hoo" face to him and then had him ejected from the arena?? What a pile Cash-us Clay has turned out to be. No matter what happens, be it the city loses the case and they are out of here, or they are here for 2 more seasons, or he eventually sells, at least we know we won't have to look at "crap with feet" forever. I just want the damn thing to be over with.
Enjoy your week!